Sunday, May 20, 2012

Spring Garden Asparagus and Artful living

I am so happy to be able to work in my gardens this season! When I work in the gardens I always keep in my mind a great respect and thankfulness for nature.  I also look at the act of gardening as an active meditation and as an art form. So I am so pleased to be able to return to my work in the gardens and the beauty the gardens surround me with.  
There is a story to the asparagus bed.  Quite a few years ago when I had just prepared the bed for the asparagus but had not planted them yet I was near the bed weeding one of my rose beds.  As I was weeding I noticed the ground in the bed rising.  I stopped and really didn't believe my eyes and wondered what was going on.  I went back to my weeding but kept an eye on the bed, with curiosity.  Well the ground continued to rise until all of a sudden a very large turtle rose from the ground and walked out of the bed.  I had never seen anything like that happen before.  I imagine it had laid its eggs there in the soft, sandy soil, but never saw the baby turtles rise.  I took it as a good omen and have had incredible luck with the asparagus in that bed despite the occasions when life gets too full and the bed goes unattended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment