Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Hand Dying Silk Ribbon with Tea

Okay, so if you know me, you know I love tea and everything to do with tea. 
When I drink my morning tea I use a teapot and a pretty little teacup and saucer along with a creamer. 

When I am in a big rush and need to take my tea with me in the morning I put it in a pretty ceramic travel mug but it’s just not the same.

There are quite a few artists that use recycled teabags in their art.  I was planning on dying some silk ribbon to take with me to AFICC and the Quinlan conference this spring.  So I thought why not use tea?

I took out four canning jars and placed four teabags in each.  I then poured boiling water into each jar and placed the ribbons in the jars to sit for 24 hours.

I used Celestial Seasonings Chamomile tea, Bigelow Red Raspberry tea, Bigelow Jasmine Green tea, and Twinnings Lapsang Souchong tea.

I used only one type of tea in each jar to see what color they would make.  The hardest part of the process was waiting for the ribbon to soak and dry before seeing how they came out.
Of course I had to make some pretty cards to wrap the ribbon around!

This is the ribbon dyed with the Chamomile tea.

This is the ribbon dyed with the Red Raspberry tea.

This is the ribbon dyed with the Jasmine Green tea.

And this is the ribbon dyed with the Lapsang Souchong tea.

I wonder what colors avocados and red cabbage will make?


Until next time…….

Warm hugs,
Marla

No comments:

Post a Comment