Friday, March 18, 2016

Compassion



As the Dali Lama has once stated, “Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries.  Without them humanity cannot survive.”  According to Thich Nhat Hanh, “Through we all have the fear and the seeds of anger within us, we must learn not to water those seeds and instead nourish our positive qualities – those of compassion, understanding, and loving kindness.”
At this time in my life, the only way I feel I can respond to the current climate of news events, is to create my art. While engaged in the process of creating art all else slips away while I enter into a state of total peace, total calm.  I strive to create my art to reflect and be infused with that calm and peace.   I cannot change how others think.  I cannot change how others act.  All I can change is myself and what I choose to send out to others in my thoughts, actions, and creations. 
I wanted to share with you my latest creation.  She was inspired by Kuan Yin, the Goddess of Compassion, one who hears the cries of all beings.  Others know her as a Bodhisattva, one who puts off Nirvana in order to liberate all sentient beings. Many representations of Kuan Yin depict her as a beautiful oriental woman in flowing gowns carrying a vessel filled with the waters of compassion.  She is often depicted standing or sitting upon a lotus blossom. 

In this interpretation of Kuan Yin, I chose to place a hand crafted and hand painted lotus blossom upon her head as a headdress.  She wears a skirt and shawl of hand painted cheesecloth which represent the waters of compassion.  Her costume is hand beaded with silver lined glass beads.  

She will be on display at the Quinlan Artist Doll and Teddy Bear Weekend Event in Philadelphia this April.  I will also be teaching a class at the event on how to use watercolors for skin tone and facial coloration.  
The class is limited in size to six students.  If you are interested in joining me in the class be sure to sign up soon to insure your place.   If you would like more information about the event and find out how to register for the class click on the following link to the event website

1 comment: