Saturday, February 15, 2020

Lover’s Eyes

Okay so I have been embracing my affinity to chase everything artistically shiny down the rabbit hole again.  Ever since I saw a few antique lover’s eyes on the internet I have been fascinated with them.
 
Lover's Eye from Metropolitan  Museum of Art
According to what I read about them, Prince George of Wales, madly in love with the widowed Maria Anne Fitzherbert, sent her a miniature painting of his eye along with a written letter which included a marriage proposal.
They were then married and shortly afterwards a miniature painting of Maria Anne Fitzherbert’s eyes were painted and both paintings were placed into a locket. 
 
Lover's Eye from Metropolitan Museum of Art
The marriage was doomed from the start (since it didn’t have the monarch’s blessing), but the trend of having miniature paintings of eyes being encased in lockets, rings, and broaches to give to your lover began. It was a way to keep something of your lover close without letting others know who exactly your lover was!
 
Eye Miniature from Metropolitan Museum of Art
Lover’s eye jewelry was quite popular during the 1700s and 1800s until the advent of the photograph at which time they went out of fashion.  They were often painted with watercolors over ivory.  A lock of the lover’s hair was often found enclosed behind the painting.
 
Eye Miniature from Metropolitan Museum of Art
So inspired by these beautiful gems I decided to create some of my own.
 
Lover's Eye Necklace by Marla L. Niederer
The Lover’s eyes I created are hand painted needle sculpted cloth eyes.  I then hand beaded them with silver lined Japanese beads and made them to be worn as necklaces.
 
Lover's Eye Necklace by Marla L. Niederer


I will be bringing some of my Lover’s Eyes Necklaces to the Quinlan Art Doll and Teddy Bear show in Philadelphia this April for sale.
Hope to see you there.
 
Lover's Eye Necklaces by Marla L. Niederer
Until next time…….



Warm hugs,
Marla




No comments:

Post a Comment