Saturday, February 1, 2020

Making Watercolor Paint boxes

I love to surround myself with pretty little things and I love to paint with watercolors.   
 
Travel Watercolor Paint Tin by Marla L. Niederer
So I decided to make some pretty little watercolor paint travel boxes from some hinged tin boxes.
 
Travel Watercolor Paint Tin by Marla L. Niederer
I filled my first paint box with the Holbein Antique colors that I had (Unfortunately they don’t make the antique colors any longer).
 
Travel Watercolor Paint Tin by Marla L. Niederer
Of course I couldn’t stop after making just one!
 
Travel Watercolor Paint Tins by Marla L. Niederer

Travel Watercolor Paint Tins by Marla L. Niederer

After I made them I had to try one of them out and used it to add watercolors to this sketch I made.  The sketch started out with just graphite and then I added a bit of Stabilo pencil for shading.  I really liked the sketch at this phase.
 
Sketch by Marla L. Niederer
I then started to add watercolors from the first paint box I made.  I am still experimenting with colors and added too much blue violet to it and tried to correct it with adding warmer browns.  
Watercolor painting by Marla L. Niederer

So, I do believe I overworked the painting.  It’s just in one of my journals which are made for experimenting. So even though I’m not quite happy with the painting, I have learned something, enjoyed the process, and have some new pretty little paint boxes to play with.

Until next time……..

warm hugs,
Marla






No comments:

Post a Comment