Friday, February 5, 2021

Flaming June and Left handed painting

 One of my favorite paintings, Flaming June, was painted by Sir Frederic Leighton in 1895.  The painting currently resides in Museo de Arte de Ponce in Puerto Rico.  I hope to be able to travel there to see it sometime.

 

Flaming June by Sir Frederic Leighton from Wikipedia free domain image

The model for the paintings body is unknown but it is believed that the model for the face was either Dorothy Dene or Mary Lloyd, two of Frederic Leighton’s favorite models during this time period.   I found a photograph of Dorothy Dene on Wikipedia.  It is no wonder she was one of his favorite models.

 

Photograph of Dorothy Dene  free domain image from Wikipedia

Since I will need to continue to embrace left handed painting for quite some time (as a result of my right arm injury), I decided to take some artistic liberty and use Dorothy Dene’s  photo as the basis for this weeks left handed painting.

 

Mixed Media Non dominant hand painting by Marla L. Niederer

I used Stabilo All pencils, water-soluble graphite pencils, watercolors, gouache, and a touch of Stabilo pastel pencils.

 You can find out about my self-study classes by clicking on the picture below.

 

Self Study Classes by Marla L. Niederer


You can find out about the Little Lion Art doll I have for sale by clicking on the picture below.

 

Little Lion Art Doll by Marla L. Niederer for Sale 


You can find out about all the free tutorials I offer by clicking on the picture below.

 

Free Tutorials by Marla L. Niederer


If you want to find out more about me click on my picture below.

 

About Me


Until next time…….

 

warm hugs,

 

Marla

 

No comments:

Post a Comment