Saturday, January 23, 2021

Left Handed Painting

 

Due to a flare up of an old injury I had to give my right arm a rest this week.  Sometimes the universe gives you a little push to get out of your comfort zone and try something different.  I decided to do a painting with my non dominant left hand.  I thought I might share with you the different stages the painting went through.

 

Water-soluble graphite  sketch by Marla L.. Niederer

I started out using water soluble graphite pencil.

 

First layer of watercolors by Marla L. Niederer

After shading the graphite with water, I added a layer of watercolors.

 

Second layer of watercolors by Marla L. Niederer

I kept adding layers of watercolors.  In many classes that I have taken, other artists encourage the use of your non-dominant hand to loosen up your artwork.

 

Table salt added to another layer of watercolors by Marla L. Niederer

 I like the effect of using salt sprinkled onto watercolors and did this on several of the layers.

Another layer of watercolors by Marla L. Niederer


I kept adding layers of watercolors until I was happy with my work.  I also added  some fine details such as the trees growing out of her hair and roots growing into her hair.

 

Completed Left handed painting by Marla L. Niederer

Hopefully after some rest my arm will heal as good as new but until then its non-dominant hand painting for me.

 

You can find out about my self-study classes by clicking on the picture below.

 

Self Study Classes with Marla L. Niederer


You can find out about the Little Lion Art doll I have for sale by clicking on the picture below.

 

Little Lion Art Doll for Sale


You can find out about all the free tutorials I offer by clicking on the picture below.

 

Free Tutorials by Marla L. Niederer


If you want to find out more about me click on my picture below.

 

About Me


Until next time…….

 

warm hugs,

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment