Friday, January 1, 2021

Welcoming in a New Year

 

Each New Year seems to bring with it a time of reflection, a time to look at what has worked during the past year, and what needs to be changed.

 

Journal page by Marla L. Niederer inspired by  Lucy Cooke Lesson 

At the beginning of 2020 I started to take a yearlong figurative art online painting class presented by a multitude of talented artists on Kara Bullock’s website.  I had hoped that it would give me the incentive to continue to develop my watercolor painting practice.  I had no idea what a dumpster fire 2020 would become and what a gift it was to have a new art project to look forward to each week from this online class.

 

Journal spread by Marla L. Niederer inspired by Katrina Koltes Lesson

Although I didn’t complete all of the lessons, I really enjoyed the ones that I did.  I still have more of the lessons I wish to complete but chose to take my time and study them at my own pace.  That is the beauty of online classes. 

 

Journal page by Marla L. Niederer

One of the artists that gave a lesson as part of the yearlong class was Jean-Marie Webb.  I really enjoyed viewing her lesson and looked up her website.  She had completed a project of painting on teabags and then decided to share this project with a class called Tiny bags of love.

 

Teabags in process painted by Marla L. Niederer


About two years or so before I had seen an article on Modern Met about another artist, Ruby Silvious, who also painted on teabags.  I was fascinated since I absolutely love drinking tea and absolutely love art.  I actually was inspired enough by the article to start saving teabags to paint some day. 

 

Teabag painted by Marla L. Niederer inspired by antique Japanese button


I never really got around to painting the teabags until I decided to recently take Jean-Marie Webb’s class.  I guess I needed to take the class for that extra bit of incentive to start painting my teabags.

 

Teabag painted by Marla L. Niederer


One of the lessons from Jean-Marie’s class encourages you to paint several teabags at a time to loosen up your painting style.  I have been enjoying this process and have been doing this for all of my teabag paintings.

 

Teabag painted by Marla L. Niederer


I think painting teabags is kind of getting addictive!

 

Teabag painted by Marla L. Niederer


I don’t know what this New Year will bring, but my hope is that it will bring you comfort, good health, good food, and the ability to be surrounded by those you love.

 

You can find out about my self-study classes by clicking on the picture below.

 

Self-Study Classes by Marla L. Niederer


You can find out about the Little Lion Art doll I have for sale by clicking on the picture below.

 

Little Lion Art Doll by Marla L. Niederer


You can find out about all the free tutorials I offer by clicking on the picture below.

 

Free Tutorials by Marla L. Niederer


If you want to find out more about me click on my picture below.

 

About Me


Until next time…….

 

warm hugs,

No comments:

Post a Comment