Saturday, January 29, 2022

Progressive Paper Doll Party

 

Paper Doll set "How Raccoon Got His Coat," by Hally Levesque

I recently received this absolutely beautiful paper doll set created by Hally Levesque as part of a Progressive Paper Doll Party Facebook group swap. 

 

"How Raccoon Got His Coat" paper doll set by Hally Levesque

The set was presented in this beautiful folder Hally made.  The set was created to represent the Native American folktale called “How Raccoon Got His Coat.” 

 

"How Raccoon Got His Coat"  paper doll folder by Hally Levesque

The paper dolls are absolutely beautiful original pencil crayon and ink works of art.

 

Princess Raven by Hally Levesque

Hally also included a print of one of her original works of art for the background picture in the folder.

 

Hand signed print of artwork by Hally Levesque

Thank you Hally for such a beautiful gift!

 

Raccoon by Hally Levesque

As part of the swap I also created a paper doll project for the theme.  Instead of presenting my paper doll in a folder I created a shadow box for her presentation.

Seher shadowbox by Marla L. Niederer


The paper doll is called Seher.   She rides her white deer into the night sky to bring the first light of the day with her baton of light.

 

Seher shadowbox by Marla L. Niederer

The project was initially inspired by a tarot card created by Bonifacio Bembo in the 1400’s of a female knight of batons.  You can see the original card in the Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Libray digital collection of Yale University.  I never had seen a female knight before or such a beautiful card.  When I first saw it I was so inspired that I did this watercolor painting that I used for the card included in the my paper doll swap project. The card can indicate travel, progress, new ideas, and inventions according to Wikipedia.

 

Knight of Batons by Marla L. Niederer

For the paper doll project I decided to use a white deer instead of a horse after visiting the white deer herd reserve in the Finger Lakes in Central New York quite some time ago. I liked that the deer symbolize innocence, gentleness, a beckoning to new adventures and magical journeys.

 

photo by Marla L. Niederer

While traveling in California for a NIADA conference in 2018 I met a young woman and her little girl named Seher while I was painting by the ocean. Seher’s mother told me that her daughter’s name meant the light one can see upon the horizon just before the dawn.  I found the meaning of her name to be as beautiful as the child.  So I pulled all three inspirations together to create my paper doll project Seher.  I had so much fun participating in this project and can’t wait until the next one!

 

I also wanted to share with you that my Sleeping Mermaid Class is now a self study class.  You can find out more about it by clicking on the picture below.

 

Sleeping Mermaid Self Study Class by Marla L. Niederer

To see more of my self study classes click on the picture below.

 

Self Study Classes by Marla L. Niederer

To go to my OrsinisAngels YouTube Channel where all of my free video tutorials can be found, click on the picture below

 

OrsinisAngels Youtube channel free tutorials

To see all of my free tutorials you can click on the picture below

 

Free Tutorials by Marla L. Niederer

To find out more about me click on my picture below

 

About Me

Until next time……….

 

Warm hugs,

Marla

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment